Wednesday, June 11, 2008

9 - Background - Sonohystogram vs. Hysterosalpingogram

In the fall of 2007, once we decided to go forward with our first insemination, I had a sonohystogram done. This was a prerequisite to the insemination - they needed to make sure my tubes weren't blocked. The sonohystogram is supposedly much less painful than its counterpart, the hysterosalpingogram (HSG), however, it is also considered less accurate. Both exams cost about the same - around $600-$900. WORD OF ADVICE: if you need to get one of these exams, insist they perform the HSG instead of the sonohystogram. Because the HSG is so accurate, there will not be a need for the sonohystogram. However, if you only have the sonohystogram and you continue to have problems (or switch clinics like we did), they will probably insist on a HSG. The sonohystogram is performed by injecting saline; the HSG uses iodine.

I needed to complete the HSG prior to heading to Colorado for our one day IVF work-up. I went through my ob/gyn with the hope that insurance would cover it - it did. The HSG needed to be scheduled on cycle days 7, 8, or 9. I tentatively had mine scheduled for day 7...then, of course, my period was a day late. I called to see if I could have the test on day 6 - I could as long as I wasn't actually bleeding on day 6.

Despite the horror stories, my HSG exam was painless. I was really scared and informed the radiologist of my fears. The exam was performed at the imaging center at the hospital. They basically numbed the cervix, pushed a catheter through the cervix, and pushed the iodine through the catheter into the uterus and fallopian tubes. I didn't feel any pain, but I did take 800mg of Motrin about 1 hour prior to the procedure. I also took an antibiotic - doxycycline (just 2 pills). My ob/gyn was reluctant to give it to me, but everything I read said that it should be taken as a precaution, so I insisted. No pain or cramping after the HSG; just a lot of bleeding that evening. The hospital said they would get the results to my ob/gyn within a couple of days. Well, about 10 days passed (I was calling every other day) and my ob/gyn still hadn't received the results. I called the hospital and, sure enough, the results were never sent. The hospital faxed the results to my doc that day and two days later she called with the results - everything was fine. I picked up a copy of the report and the actual film to take with me to Colorado.

No comments: