Saturday, November 15, 2008

56 - I'm an awesome mom.

One of my favorite fellow ivf bloggers posted unfortunate news yesterday - a BFN from CCRM. I was shocked by the level of sadness I experienced when I read her post as I only know her through the blog world. Although I know that a lot of the sadness I was feeling was true empathy, I must admit that some of it was also a reflection on my own situation. When I read that she wasn't pregnant, not just my mind, but my body was instantly transported back to September 4th (the day we found out our result), and I found it hard to breath.

This same blogger wrote on a previous post "I guess the universe is selecting me out.". If there is one sentence that epitomises the feelings after an infertility treatment fails, this would be the one. Our situations are different, but the one thing I can relate to is going to the best in the world and things not panning out as hoped. Although we've only done one, most likely, Alex and I are not doing another IVF cycle. We do have two frozen embryos, but based on what the doctor says when we have another extensive conversation with him, we may even make the decision to not go back for them and put our resources elsewhere. I, too, concluded that the universe is selecting us out.

But then I thought about it...That can't be true - it just can't. I have to think of infertility in a different way. I have to or I'll go insane... And I'm talking "put me in the psych ward and tie me up" insane.

I am such an awesome mother. I am - already. I know it at a deep level. I'm not confident about much, but that is the one thing I am sure of. It is one thing that even the hell of infertility can't take away from me. I am perhaps the most comfortable when I am holding and caring for an infant - I knew this the first time I started babysitting for an infant when I was twelve. I've never questioned my desire for children - only the timing (if I only knew then what I know now, right?). At a party surrounded by adults, you can usually find me on the floor with the kids. You know, I just have to believe that the universe is not selecting me out - in fact, the universe has very strongly placed upon me the task of being a mother...and I am so grateful for that. I don't think everyone has the privilege of being given that task. For me, it is looking more and more like my mother role will be in the form of adoption...or perhaps in some other way that has yet to be revealed. Is this what I had in mind? No way. Do I feel pain on a daily basis as a result of going through these struggles? Without a doubt. But I will be DAMNED if I let anything stand in the way of embracing the loving, nurturing mother that is already alive inside of me. I love that part of me...even when I hate my body for this betrayal.

5 comments:

Lisa said...

Yes you are!!! You will be a mommy. I really beleive that. and I'm glad you aren't going to let this damn IF stand in the way.

You are inspiring and I can't wait to hear that you are a mommy one day!!!

DAVs said...

Thanks for this post.
I know my "universe" comment was not accurate...because then the converse would have to be true. You know, the universe was selecting in all those horrible parents--child abusers, neglectful parents, etc. etc. etc.

Thanks for making me not feel so alone.

Josée Martens said...

Hi, I found you through Davs site.

I don't believe there is a cosmic message that we are being selected out. I think of infertility as an illness and if I had cancer, I would seek treatment after treatment to cure my illness. And I will do the same with my fertility. I will try all of the appropriate treatments and if they don't work, I'll move to alternative "therapies" (maybe donor or adoption).

It can't be personal or something against me. I'll end up parenting one way or another and I can't wait to do so.

I hope you don't feeling selected out forever. Blame the patient or victim mentality brings nothing good for you.

Linda said...

What a great attitude you have! Truly inspiring! :)

coolcapmom said...

I am behind on my reading and this post brought tears to my eyes. You are an awesome mom (and friend and auntie) and any world in which you are selected out is not a world I can believe in. There MUST be some other plan for motherhood for you. I agree with the post that compares infertility to cancer and just the ultimate cosmic slap in the face for you and Alex. (I think he would be an awesome daddy too.) I love you and am with you every step of this journey, which I KNOW will end with a child, some way, somehow.