Sunday, July 27, 2008

25 - First Night of Shots - July 27th, 2008

This morning I went to the hospital lab (because it is a Sunday and the office labs weren't open) and got my P4 drawn (progesterone). This was to make sure that I ovulated. SIDE NOTE: I begged the lab person to use a butterfly needle because I have bad veins...she refused because she was "so good". Guess what? She had to poke me in both arms before she got any blood...and did eventually use a butterfly needle. CCRM used butterfly needles as a standard practice..thank goodness. Anyway, the results were sent to CCRM within a couple of hours. I called the on-call nurse. She reviewed the lab results and gave me the go ahead to start the Lupron and Dexamethasone.

So tonight at 8PM I gave myself my first shot of Lupron...not painful at all, although the area around the shot got a little tender. CCRM has a link to videos (on the homepage of their website) that show you how to give the shots - very helpful. Also, I read somewhere that you should reward yourself after the shots so that they don't become a source of dread. I think this is a great idea and plan on coming up with a reward routine in the next couple of days. I just took my dexamethasone and now plan to head to bed. It feels good to finally get this process started and I am in great spirits.

Nothing other than the Lupron and Dexamethasone until my period starts (probably August 4th or 5th). Then I go in for an ultrasound and blood work here in Michigan. If these tests show that the Lupron has successfully shut down my ovaries, then the real fun begins...the stimulation drugs.

No comments: