Sunday, July 12, 2009

95 - It's always something...

This is the phrase I probably heard the most from my parents while I was growing up - I forget which parent...maybe both. The electricity would go out..."It's always something". Someone would die...."It's always something". The vacuum would break..."It's always something.". So when we got the news that our NT Scan and blood work came back "positive", it is no surprise that "It's always something" was the phrase that ran through my head.

I knew something was up when my ob called on Tuesday and left the following message - "Hey, Christina. It's Dr. H. Give me a ring at the office. I'll be here till 4PM.". Obs just don't call to see how things are going. I figured it out before I called him back that he was probably calling with our results, and since he was calling at all, the results were probably "abnormal". So Alex and I had the discussion before I even talked to the doc. We wouldn't terminate, therefore, we wouldn't follow-up with an amnio.

Yes - it was a positive test. He said the average risk for Down's for someone my age is 1/110. Any test the comes in at a higher risk than the average is considered "positive". With our NT scan, the blood work, and my age, the risk for us came back as 1/60. That means rather than a .5% chance that this baby has Down's, there is a 1.6% chance. Or, another way to think of it is that there is a 98.4% that the baby is fine.

Of course we would have rather had different news, but I am happily surprised about how we have dealt with this. I feel like it is a true reflection of all the hard emotional work we have done has individuals and as a couple. First of all, we know the inaccuracy of this test and we are aware of the high probability of false positives. Secondly, we intimately know someone with Down's - Alex's sister. It is not an unknown to us, which makes any probability of it a lot less scary. I can honestly say this positive test has put little to no damper on the excitement we are feeling about this pregnancy. The part I am happily surprised about is not necessarily our decision itself - I have no judgment about what people decide to do with this information. It is such a personal choice. I am most happily surprised about our clarity and the fact that we are on the same page...whatever that "same page" may be.

I've been feeling movement. I'm getting big. And when I push on my stomach in certain places, I can tell I am feeling the baby's head. We just want to enjoy the rest of this pregnancy with as little medical intervention as possible.

So - in other news, the summer has been great. Perhaps one of our best. After we returned from Dublin, I went on another trip with Alex to Valencia, Spain. It was a beautiful city. We spent a lot of time on the beach. Some women were topless, and I was so tempted to rip my top off as well. I have nice boobs right now. I've never had nice boobs, nor will there probably be another time in my life where they are this nice. I wanted to show them off. But I resisted. Too bad...

This week we are visiting Alex's aunt in Ohio. Then a friend of ours whom we haven't seen in ages is coming up to see us and go to the Ann Arbor Art Fair next weekend. Then we are going to an air show...I'm working the beer tent for our Women in Aviation group. Lots of other summer plans, and the next thing I know, I'll be back teaching and 6 months along. I guess my parents were right...It is always *something* :-).

Some pics from Spain...



9 comments:

onwardandsideways said...

It sure feels like it's always something... sigh. I really have a feeling you're going to be just fine. You are very lucky that you and Alex both are on the same page with this; just further proof that it's all meant to be.

I am not totally freaking out but I feel haunted. I'll have more news from my OB tomorrow and tomorrow will be here very soon. I keep thinking if it was serious, there's just no way they would let me get that news in a f-ing form letter.

You look fabulous. And happy. It's great to see.

Sky said...

Over the years, I have personally known at least a dozen women who ran out of the office like their hair was on fire after getting a call that their test results were questionable. With the exception of one, they were all false alarms.

And on a very positive note, you and Alex are extremely aligned on this in that you are very open to a Down's baby with no heavy heart; that's critical and you're extremely fortunate to feel the same on this front.

Now, my guess is you'll be in the 98.4% camp.

Jill M. said...

Very admirable post! I would feel exactly the same as I have a down syndrome nephew. They are so darn sweet! I admire how you just brushed the news right off your shoulders and have continued to fully enjoy your pg. OMG, you have the cutest pg belly!

Phoebe said...

You look great! I know, I said that before, but it's still true. I'm glad you and Alex are on the same page. That really speaks to the strength of your relationship. Keep enjoying the summer. I know I am!

Sue said...

I think you are absolutely right to not worry about it at all! First off, it is not the worst thing to have a child with Down's, plus the percentage rate is still so low! Those tests are so horribly inaccurate and I don't necessarily think scaring yourself more or stressing or doing an amnio with the (slight) increase of m/c is worth it. I'm so glad you are not letting this get to you...and it is great that you are on the same page. Absolutely adorable bump:-) You look great!

DAVs said...

WOW you look mahvelous! I had no idea you had all that hair--all your other pics your hair is up or back :)

As far as your other news, I agree with you on all points...first, such a low chance of anything really at all, and second, you guys can handle ANYTHING with such grace. You are going to make such awesome parents!

Rebecca said...

Wow. I've been following your blog for awhile now, and I am deeply moved by your faith. It IS always something... and I'm praying this will turn out to be nothing.

It is so great that you and hubby are together on this. No matter what, you have that and that is a lot.

I wish I could say something that would encourage you, but I know I can't. It's out of our hands, but in capable ones.

Imjustagirl said...

WOW! I just got caught up on your blog from day 1!! I have been reading non-stop. I am currently trying to decide if CCRM is right for me. Unfortunately I live in Florida so it definetly requires some traveling. I just want you to know my bf is a nurse and she too is pregnant we were just talking the other day about the tests and that more times than not something comes back that causes worry. Fortunately the majority of those people "scared" that there is a problem usually come out with out a problem. The only thing is it tends to make them worry!

Congrats to you and your hubby on roller coaster of a journey!! I have truly enjoyed reading your story. I look forward to continuing to follow you on this journey!

Jori

onwardandsideways said...

Girl, where are ya? Long time no update. I hope you are doing well. Give us an update when you can.